Monday, October 29, 2012

Hurricane Sandy: Now is NOT the Time to Experiment

"Wonder Weapons"
As I type these words, the winds from Hurricane Sandy are whipping through the trees just outside my window here in Maryland. At the same time, I have also noticed a rapid change in direction of people's attitude toward technology.


In a disaster, companies sometimes try to deploy a new technology to get themselves out of trouble. They don't realize the threat of the disaster, and so they hope a gadget or software platform will do the job for them.

It won't.

We would never deploy a new technology on the sales floor if we hadn't mastered it and tested it. Follow this same philosophy during a disaster. Basically, it is too late to start a Business Continuity Plan or Disaster Plan if you are in Hurricane Sandy's path, so just rely on what you know. 

We all procrastinate before disaster strikes (yes, even I do). But I never let a technology that promises to get me out of trouble be deployed before I know what I am getting into. I like to call these "Wonder Weapons" because they promise to solve problems in wonderous, amazing fashion.

They won't.

Rely on the technology that you have already mastered and deployed, especially during a storm like Sandy. It's tried and true, and won't let you down. Don't let the speed and direction of the wind blow you away from your core instincts as a small business owner.

Use what you know, and your business will be on track to Reverse Disaster.


Patrick Hardy

No comments:

Post a Comment